CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Heber Valley Girls

Before the Century began.


We are Pumped!

Tana, Me, Kim, and Mylissa at Lunch.

Pulling into the FINISH!



O.K. so I went a little over board on the pictures. Truethfully I elimanated several but I am knd of proud of all of us that accomplished this that I wanted to share it with others. I have to start off by thanking my sweet husband who was there for nearly 8 hour experience driving along, cheering me on and taking pictures! He only left to watch Gavin during his soccer game and get the kids situated.


The Heber Century is an amazing ride! I use the word ride loosley beacuase though it wasn't a timed race, riding a 100 miles in one day is quite the challenge especially this praticular century. We started at 8:00 am in Heber, went over to Midway, then over Jordenelle to Fransis, Oakley, past Rockport to Wanship, to Coalville then back over the freeway passing back through each of the previous towns on the loop back to Kamas and Fransis then over Jordenelle back to Heber! (That was a mouthful.) There were some good climbs in each 25 mile leg of the ride especially the last 25 miles or so. It took us just under 8 hours to ride the whole 107 miles including our pit stops, 6 1/2 hours on the bike, OUCH!


For me it was as much mental as it was physical. I broke the ride down in 25 mile sections, looked at the elevation levels before hand to prepare myself mentally, and listened to some great tunes on my Ipod. Unfortunately it died the last hour of the ride. I trained for this ride by working on climbing hills rather than the miles. The 2 weeks before I climbed over Jordenelle to Kamas and back and felt that even if I was left to go at it alone I could do it!


Though this was not my first completed century, (I finished the Little Red Riding Hood which goes through the beautiful area of Cache Valley in June of this year and only 57 miles in the Zion's Century in January this year.) it was one that I wanted to prove to myself that I could accomplish. I went with some amazing girls who I owe a lot to. Thanks especially to Tana and Kim for sticking with me even when they could have gone ahead at a faster pace. You know you are AWESOME. You both are also thoughtful and gracious.


Between around mile 60-70 or so I hit a low. I had even popped a caffine filled gummie something or other but just felt myself straining to keep up. I knew that if I could just make it to the next pit stop I would be fine. During this section of the ride Kim was kind enough to bike alongside me. She could tell I was fading fast and asked for my water bottle. I tried to take the lid off for her but couldn't and continue to ride, she proceeded with what seemed like seconds to take off my lid rip open a package and pour in some electrolytes all while riding her bike. I was oblivious to this until she handed it back to me. I was focused just on pedaling. Her kindness made the difference for me, I made it to the next pit stop and felt great the rest of the way!


I was wiped out once I got home, after taking my great anticipated shower I was unable to do much but lie around for the rest of the day but was pleasantly surprised to find that I was not sore the next day.


We were blessed with the most perfect weather we could ask for, not to mention beautiful fall colors everywhere! I had a fleeting thought after finishing the ride that maybe I didn't NEED to do that century again but the very next day I was excited to do it next year. So for any of you out there that want to take this challenge to do this either again or for the first time I will be planning on it so come join me!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am so impressed. Other than Lance Armstrong, I didn't even know people did this. I can barely drive my car 100 miles without taking a nap.

Lisa Danielson said...

You are awesome girl! That is amazing. I can't believe you are not sore!! Way to go!

shannon p. said...

Way to go you buff sexy momma! Some day...some day (if I keep telling myself that, then maybe it will really happen) I love Tiffany's comment - I agree, I don't think I could sit on a bike for 100 miles, let alone peddle - up hill!

Jamie said...

Hey Nicole! I found your cute blog through Chelseas! Way to go on your bazillion mile bike ride! That's really amazing!

Matt and Jessica Stevenson said...

You are one hot mama nicole:)

P.s. Thanks for letting us use your condo this past weekend. it is really nice.